Tuesday, October 27

A day late, a pound short.

I was going to update yesterday with photos, but I was just too lazy. Big surprise. But here's an update, and some lovely dialogue about my trip to the Isle of Wight.

Saturday began with waking up at the ungodly hour of 6:45. Running on four hours of sleep, I dragged myself out of bed and over to the GPS building. We were supposed to leave at 8, but our bus didn't get there until 8:30 so we were given free food to tide us over (win). We left shortly after and made our way down to Portsmouth. It was a pretty drive, lots of fall colors and there was this one road, I can't describe it well enough, but it was just beautiful - misty and covered in bright green trees.

After we got into Portsmouth, we took a ferry across to the Isle of Wight. All I have to say is: I hate boats.
Once back on solid ground, we made our way to Sandown, a small resort city on the eastern coast. It was nice, however due to the rain and wind, it was less charming/walkable.

Next was Godshill. I'll say this was my favorite. It had such green grass, rolling hills, little shops and restaurants, and a church perched on a hill atop the city. While we were wandering around the church grounds, the sun came out and the sky cleared up (of course). It had been rainy and windy since we left London hours earlier. After that it was nice and warm, and the water dried off the coach windows so my pictures started turning out, awesome.

Next we made our way to Cowes on the north coast. Cowes is apparently famous for yachting. It was small, and the water was packed with tons of sailboats.

After Cowes we headed back to the mainland (did I mention I hate boats?) and back to London - where we hit the most insane amounts of traffic (Chicago has nothing on this).

Overall, I liked the Isle of Wight. It was nice being around water again, and being on a coast. It's weird not living on a large body of water anymore.

No comments: