Saturday, October 17

School on strike.

This week was interesting to say the least. Would've had my first full week of class, but due to a teachers strike, it was cut short.

Monday I had class in the city, then went to ISH to meet Katie and sign up for a trip we wanted to go on. We decided that we wanted to go out to eat, so we started walking until we found somewhere that looked good. Well, that ended up being an hour walk to Chinatown because I decided I wanted Sweet and Sour Chicken. But it was worth it, at least I thought so. Since we hadn't planned on walking that far, we didn't bring cameras, which was a bummer cause it's a really awesome area. There are red lanterns hanging above the pedestrian-only streets lined with numerous restaurants. I will post pictures of it once we get back there.

Tuesday I had my first Spanish class at north campus. It was okay... kinda boring. I know almost everything he taught us, so it's more of a review for me. My professor also has no concept of personal bubbles. Just sayin. That night Katie and I decided to have a pizza feast and just watch tv. It was great.
Wednesday I had class at 2 at north. Katie and I left at our normal time, only to get to Kings Cross (where we transfer lines) and find out that it was temporarily closed due to a fire alarm. So we ended up being 30 minutes late for class, running around half of London trying to get to a Piccadilly line. After class we headed home, and got ready for the play. We went to see Miss Julie by August Strindberg in Kingston, which is a 30 minute train ride south of London. The play was good, but not my favorite. I'm not so much into Shakespearean-style plays with no change of scenes or characters. We wandered around the area on our way back to the train, and let me tell you, the ladies in Kingston - eesh. I haven't seen shorter dresses than that in a while.

Thursday I got up at 9 and made my way to class, only to find out it was cancelled. Nothing more fun than waking up early to find out it was unnecessary. There was a teachers strike on Thursday and Friday, and so far everyone I talked to didn't have class. Read about the strike here. Since I was already up, I decided to head to Argos to buy a mattress pad. I met Katie at the Tube near our place on the way since our cleaning lady woke her up. We just hung around our dorm for the rest of the day after Katie went to class and found out hers was cancelled as well. We had another play to go to that night at the Novello Theatre in Covent Garden. We saw An Inspector Calls by JB Priestley. It was SO good. We were even lucky enough to get second row seats. After the play ended, we wandered around the area heading towards Leicester Square. We found a McDonalds, got a burger, and met the funniest Brit/Scot/Aussie guys. So entertaining. I even got a free milkshake out of it all! And of course, on our way to the Tube station we met a crazy Italian and his Japanese friend, who was trying to pull him away from us as he described these films that we just have to see. It was funny because it just kept going, and he kept telling us that he wasn't crazy haha. I love London.

Yesterday we woke up super late. I got up at 3, how I slept that late, I don't know. We basically just laid around all day, before making the journey to Asda (the UK Walmart). It was almost an hour journey to get there and we spent an hour or two there before heading back. We got more pizzas, and had a feast when we got back. We watched Ghost Hunters and other paranormal shows until 2am when we went outside, and amazingly, other people we knew were still awake and outside. Go figure.

Today the plan is to go to the Tate Modern and finish up a floor or two. There's an art festival in Regents Park that we wanted to go to, but apparently it's £20 to get in, so that's not happening. No other plans for the weekend yet, next weekend - Isle of Wight!

No comments: